Product Page Field to validate delivery location

• Thank you received: 1
8 years 11 months ago #199449

-- HikaShop version -- : 2.4.0
-- Joomla version -- : 3.4.0
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.38
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Safari 8.0.5(Mac), Chrome (Mac) 41.0.2272.118 (64-bit)

Hey Guys:

Each my vendors each has their own list of suburb or city areas that they can deliver to and for each, a different delivery fee. Based on my understanding of Hikashop, I was not able to use 'zones' to make this happen because:

1) it only contains set listing of country, and states
2) no method to enter so many city area names other than typing in one by one
3) no way to select so many zone areas per vendors even if I was able to enter them in

I decided for each vendor, I would create shipping methods by grouping their city areas or suburbs by prices. What we end up with is that most of the vendors now have 8-12 choices for shipping methods.

The problem comes when a user is suppose to select the shipping method. There are so many (See image, that is only 3 shipping method out of 10 for that vendor). They are expected to scroll through, attempt to find the city area or suburb name in the listing, and then hopefully...will know to click on the proper corresponding radio button in order to pay the correct amount.

Ideally, before the user can proceed into the checkout, there should be a search field on the product page for user to either type in or scroll to select their delivery destination. When a user enters and selects a choice from this field, the designated delivery fee is displayed and added it to their bill during checkout...something like this:

Location Delivery Fee
Mongkok, Kowloon HKD $100
Kwon Tong, Kowloon HKD $120
Central, Hong Kong Island HKD $80
Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island HKD $60

I realise that this isn't something hikashop can do out of the box. I would like to ask for your suggestion on how I could achieve this or something similar (if you have a better idea). I am not a coder, but I could try and find someone to help with this as a project. But before I can do that, I would like to consult your expertise on the best approach to do this from within Joomla and Hikashop. I will then direct the person who we hire to do as you suggest so that the new modification will be fully compatible with all functions and settings of your system.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 11 months ago #199470

Hi,

For the first part of your message ; the zone allow you to target a country or/and a state ; thanks to the shipping zone, you can create specific (and custom zone) with several different states.
But yes, the zone is not going to the "city" level.

The shipping methods have also an option for the postcode, where you can specify a min and a max.

If that restrictions options are not enough for you needs ; we will require more information about what could be useful for you so we could recommend you an implementation solution.
It is, for example, possible to create new restrictions for the HikaShop shipping methods ; HikaMarket is using them to create the vendor filter for example.

About the second part of your message ; the shipping cost estimation is something complicated.
There are already some topic talking about that feature (in the checkout, to have an estimation for the shipping before being logged and before entering his address).
If you want to display a shipping cost estimation in the product page, it could be even more complicated regarding the shipping possibilities (package limitations, variable cost depending the rest of the order, etc).
More than that, if you want to manage some cities, it means that you will have to specify them somewhere (and for the moment I do not have enough information to know where they will be stored).
I can't tell you if you could use the "shipping price per product" information or if you need to perform a shipping estimation (using fake cart/order to get the shipping prices).

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

• Thank you received: 1
8 years 11 months ago #199493

Hi Jerome:

That is good that you have integrate the shipping method with a min-max. I could see if it can be useful for the time being. We are serving HK and AU for the moment. We would still have problems as our Australia vendors vendors do not serve areas by sequential post codes, annoyingly. And for our HK side, we do not have post codes.

Instead of integrating with Australia Post, etc to get the shipping estimate, we are looking for the vendors to determine their own cost per city area/suburb. For example, the list for Australia or Hong Kong vendors (here is just 2 vendors for each as example) may look like this:

*Note that there is just two information that we will provide in each vendor's list 'location' and 'delivery fee'

AU Vendor A
Location Delivery Fee
2300 South Sydney AUD$10
2301 Baddington AUD$10
2302 Westville AUD$12
2302 Westville East AUDR15
2303 Kentown AUD$10
2304 Bridgeway AUD$12

AU Vendor B
Location Delivery Fee
2301 Baddington AUD$10
2302 Westville AUD$12
2302 Westville East AUDR15
2305 Central Way AUD$10
2310 Beanie AUD$12

HK Vendor C
Location Delivery Fee
Central HKD$100
Sheung Wan HKD$100
Chai Wan HKD$150
Admiralty HKD$100
Mongkok HKD$200

HK Vendor D
Location Delivery Fee
Central HKD$50
Sheung Wan HKD$50
Chai Wan HKD$80
Mongkok HKD$100
Kwon Tong HKD$150

So you see, for the same location, one vendor might charge $50, another might do it for $80, another might not even serve that area at all.

Based on what I believe to be the simplest method, on a excel-like list that we create for each vendor, it would only contain 2 information per listing: 'location' and a 'delivery fee'. This list we would import it into hikashop each time we want to update on a per vendor basis. When user attempts to purchase, this is what happens:

1) On the product page, we add a search field associated for the vendor. This field will search or display the 'list' associated with that vendor.
2) This field would allow customer to type in text or number to find attempt to search for a matching 'location' in the list.
3) When there is a match, the customer selects it. (for example: he selects 2300 Sydney)
4) For the entry that is selected from the list, it will have the exact value for the shipping fee (for example: that location value is $12), which can be passed to the shipping method as the shipping cost....or if that is way too complicated, then just allow that 'value' to be added to the customer's bill anything, as long as it is listed and charged to the customer

So you see, I don't need it to be the 'shipping cost' according to the system if it complicates things. It is just a name and an amount that needs to be billed to the user and recorded into the system, invoices, etc. What is difficult is that each list is massive, some have as many as 150 or more locations in the same list so entering them by hand one at a time is out of the question.

The goal is just to:
1) allow user to validate the delivery destination and the cost before they go into checkout (now they know the cost)
2) deter users from going through the checkout for a product that cannot be deliver to their preferred destination (cause that location would not be in the list at all)
2) add that cost onto their bill so they can pay for it (now we will get the money)

I am terrible at summing up these kinds of things. I hope you understand what I am trying to describe. The method is open-ended so if you see a better and simpler way to have it done, I would love to know about it. Thank you for reading.

• Thank you received: 4004
8 years 11 months ago #199531

Hi,

"Location" and "delivery fee" looks cool but it won't be enough.
The $50 charge are what for ? A single product ? Every orders (even orders with an hundred of pounds/kilos) ?

"Location" is a little bit too vague in your example because you put a postcode + some kind of location (not sure that it is a city) and a "district" for Honk kong.
So, for the two places it's not the same kind of value and we have to be sure of what we want to store and what we want to use.

Let's think that we can store that in the database ; how the system can detect the good select based on the user address ?
How many different "location" do you have ? Maybe it is possible to list them in a (address) custom field.
Like we see in your first screenshot ; you have a lot of shipping methods listed in the checkout and the best will be to limit that number and just display the right ones (maybe THE one.. or no one).

I understand that it's not easy to summarize such thing but if you want your website to be able to grow up (and maybe manage more locations in the future) it is important to get some requirements ; so you can create/built your specific shipping restriction and be sure that it will work now, tomorrow and the days after.

Regards,

Jerome - Obsidev.com
HikaMarket & HikaSerial developer / HikaShop core dev team.

Also helping the HikaShop support team when having some time or couldn't sleep.
By the way, do not send me private message, use the "contact us" form instead.

Moderators: Obsidev
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds