Total loss on how to set up shipping

• Thank you received: 0
13 years 5 months ago #866

I have 2 shipping Modules that came with the download, Hikashop Manual Shipping Plugin, and Hikashop Australia Post eDeliver Shipping Plugin. I'm in the US, so I enabled the manual shipping plugin, but I have no clue what to set for the options there.

I want to charge for shipping based on the total amount of the order, and I cannot figure out how to do that at all.

But, just to test the shipping, I set it based on weight, I put one shipping method for minimum weight 1 lb., max weight 2 lb, gave it a price of $6.50 and set the zone to USA.

Then I created a second method, minimum weight 2.5 lbs maximum weight 25 lbs, price $8.50 and zone USA.

Both of these methods are published, as is the manual shipping plugin.

Then I tested it by ordering products which I have given a weight. I ordered enough products to weigh 8 pounds, and never during the checkout did it add any shipping cost.

The checkout workflow is set to login_address_shipping_payment_confirm_coupon_cart_status,end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #867

I think I figured out that problem, I didn't realize I had to add the weight to all of the variants.

Okay, so how do I set shipping based on order total?

And is there a way to show the "characteristic" or "variant" in the cart?

• Thank you received: 13063
13 years 5 months ago #870

Hi,

When you edit a manual shipping method, you have the option "minimum price" where you can set a minimum amount for the order: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/i...form.html#additional

In the cart, the name displayed is the name of the variant, not the name of the main product, unless you didn't provide a name for the variant. So you just have to set a different name for the variant.

13 years 5 months ago #908

Okay, to set up shipping based on price, then, I have to set up several of the "manual" shipping methods, each with a higher minimum price? Do I then need to also include a weight on all products?

In the shopping cart at my store, it does not show the name of the variant or the characteristic in the cart. Check it out. www.sewbeautifulcreations.com .

For instance, I have a product "Imperial Broadcloth" with multiple colors to pick from. When I add it to my cart, it only shows "Imperial Broadcloth" in the list of items in my cart, not the color I picked.

It also does not show the name of the color picked in the admin section under orders, it only shows the variant number (Imperial_Broadcloth_63). That is sorta annoying because then I have to refer back to the variants every time an order comes through to see what color they ordered.

13 years 5 months ago #910

shipping methods: yes

weight on products: yes

name of variant in cart: when I'm on the imperial broadcloth page and that I choose a variant, always the same name is displayed. Are you sure you set a different name for each variant of the product ? (go in the product edition page, click on "manage variant", then edit a variant and look at the product name field. If it's empty, the main product name is used. If you set something there, it should be displayed in the cart and everywhere else instead of the main product name)

13 years 5 months ago #922

Okay, now I see. The product variants were automatically set up when I added all of the characteristics. I did not know that I had to go back and edit each variant. That is something you might want to consider for a future update. As it took me a while to add 73 characteristic names, and now I have to go back and edit all 73 of them to manually put in a name again. Maybe they should be named automatically based on the main product name plus the characteristic name.

13 years 5 months ago #924

Another thought, when all of the variant products were set up automatically, it did not transfer the product weight from the main product to all of the variants, that would be nice if the variants all derived their weight from the main product, so that doesn't have to be edited too.

13 years 5 months ago #927

Another suggestion - To make it easier to set up shipping based on order total, add a maximum price on the shipping. Because now on checkout, on an order of $26.00 it is showing me both the options, shipping cost for orders up to $25, and shipping cost for orders $25 to $50.

Also, on checkout, it appears that taxes and shipping are lumped together and placed by the word shipping.

Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by maryvoss.

13 years 5 months ago #930

variants data: by default the names are not written in the interface and the data is automatically pulled from the main product data when displaying it. This way, if you need to change something globably, you don't have to do it on each variant but only on the main product as long as you didn't fill it in the variants. Unfortunately, not everyone want different names for each variants of a product, that's why its not generated automatically from the characteristic values. The solution will be to add the characteristics value in the cart. For the weight, variants should use the main product weight by default on display unless you specify a different price in the variant.

maximum order price for shipping: that's a good idea. We will look at adding that.

display issue on tax and shipping: the taxes here are the taxes of the shipping method itself, not the taxes of the order.

13 years 5 months ago #934

Okay, now a question about the cart display of taxes, lol. You are going to get tired of me bugging you....

I removed taxation from the shipping, so now in the cart it only shows the order total, shipping, total plus shipping, nowhere does it show the tax amount until I get to the last page where it tells me how much to mail the check for, and that total includes the tax amount. That is kinda confusing, some people may wonder why the total amount to mail the check is different than the total that was in their cart.

13 years 5 months ago #941

The amount displayed in the cart should be the total amount with taxes unless you changed the display options to display something else.

You can look at the prices options in the display tab of the configuration. There you can set how to display default price display options. Also, in the cart module itself, you can set prices options.

So you will be able to display the prices with or without taxes or both...

Then, if you need more advanced display, you will have to dig in the views code and change them to display stuff the way you want.

13 years 5 months ago #942

I have it set to show the price with and without taxes, but if you look at this image, you will see

The cart info on the left, the total price column, nowhere in that column does it reflect the taxes. Over on the right, the cart module display does show the taxes. That is confusing.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by maryvoss.

13 years 5 months ago #943

Did you set the default display price options in the configuration as well ?

The cart module price options are only for the cart module, not for the main cart which uses the default options.

Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by nicolas.

13 years 5 months ago #944

I believe I have this set correctly in the display configuration.

Attachments:

13 years 5 months ago #945

Okay, I have figured it out - when you set up a menu, it makes a content module for that menu item

Product listing for category listing menu 56

You have to set the options on that module to also display the taxes, it doesn't derive them from the default settings apparently but from that module that was created when you created the menu item.

13 years 5 months ago #947

Here is what the check out looks like now.

To me this is a somewhat cluttered and confusing shopping cart checkout.

I would prefer a much more cut and dried looking checkout

Total $22.00
Shipping 6.50
Taxes .88
Final Total 29.38

Is there a way to accomplish this??

Attachments:

13 years 5 months ago #949

That's a good idea. We will try to add a new option for that. In the mean, time you will have to edit the code of the file cart.php of the checkout view via the Display->view menu.

13 years 5 months ago #952

nicolas wrote:

variants data: by default the names are not written in the interface and the data is automatically pulled from the main product data when displaying it. This way, if you need to change something globably, you don't have to do it on each variant but only on the main product as long as you didn't fill it in the variants. Unfortunately, not everyone want different names for each variants of a product, that's why its not generated automatically from the characteristic values. The solution will be to add the characteristics value in the cart.

I assume by adding the characteristics value in the cart, you mean adding a seperate product for each characteristic, instead of one product with variants.

That would be a problem for me, adding several fabrics to a shopping cart, each fabric having numerous colors, it would make for a very crowded shopping cart. It is much better adding one product, with 73 variants - but the problem then comes with having to first add the 73 colors as characteristics, then going back and editing each variant and adding the name manually.

That is very very time consuming, and I will be adding many more fabrics that have multiple variants like this.

Maybe a solution would be to have an option to name the variants automatically based on characteristic name, or not to name them automatically but leave them blank, that way if you didn't want to, you could check not to do that, but if you wanted to, it would save me LOADS of time with adding products to my shopping cart.

13 years 5 months ago #955

Yes, as I said, we will try to add a new option for that.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds