target="_blank" for custom fields of type 'Link'?

• Thank you received: 747
9 years 10 months ago #157623

Hi,

Nothing big, and less of a request for a new feature than rather for a tiny little improvement:

Custom fields of the type 'Link' are in probably 99.9% of all cases used for external links. So, IMHO they should have the attribute target="_blank" by default. Otherwise customers are leaving our sites, and who knows if and when they come back.

I've just inserted the attribute in my administrator/components/com_hikashop/classes/field.php on line 1594 (as of HS 2.3.1), and have now one more file to babysit on next update. Others might have greater difficulties than me finding this manual tweak. However, I bet no one has a problem with such link opening in a new window/tab even if it's an internal one... much better than potential customers leaving the product page and forgetting about the browser's back button...

Or is there a specific reason why you didn't include the attribute in the first place? After all, I saw that numerous other "link-ish" fields have it, only the "real link" doesn't.

Warning: If you do it, adding it to the changelog will take you more time than doing the actual tweak in the file, hahaha. Anyway, thanks for consideration!

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2322
9 years 10 months ago #157668

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, as it is not in 100% of the cases, we will add an option for that. ;)
It will be easiest for everybody :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: lousyfool

• Thank you received: 747
9 years 10 months ago #157696

Xavier wrote: ... we will add an option for that. ;)

Wow. Cool. Almost an overdose of luxury for that little thing... :lol:

Need help with customisations of layouts, style or other site development? PM me!
(Don't forget to turn on "E-mail notification of new messages" )

• Thank you received: 2322
9 years 10 months ago #157727

As all the HikaShop users are not able to find and edit a core file for their needs like you, we prefer add a little option than having recurrent questions, especially when the modification needs to be made in a core file. :)

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds