Values in filter options from custom field values

• Thank you received: 1
11 years 5 months ago #74750

I'm working on a prospective site, and setting up filters using custom fields. Or trying to. I've not used this facility of Hikashop before.

Is it not possible for a filter's values to be automatically populated with the values from those entered for a particular custom field? Rather than having to copy them manually into the 'Values' field in 'Options' in the Filter?

To clarify, if I create a custom field for 'oil capacity (cc)', then create 6 products with various values for this (say 15,25,50,65,71,82), why are these values not automatically populated when I create a filter in a product category for 'oil capacity' using that custom field? It seems I have to go to each product in turn, and copy these into Values within Options on the filter admin.

If it can be done automatically, please let me know how.

Thanks
Curtis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2322
11 years 5 months ago #74790

Hi,

It's already possible, when you create a custom field in the table "Product" with values, then you can create a filter on this custom field, don't fill the value for the filter.
And when the filter is displayed on the front page, you have the custom field values.

11 years 5 months ago #74818

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I've tried that, but don't get any options in the dropdowns, as you'll see on: www.hydraulic-products.co.uk/index.php/h...gle-acting-cylinders . Do you have any idea what might be going wrong?

I tried using the 'cursor' option, which seemed to work fine, but I couldn't get it to display neatly. I used five cursors, and had no problem setting the values, etc, but the only the top two had anything like the correct vertical spacing, the bottom three overlapped the labels, and ran out of the 'filter' box. I tried various options in the filter items menu, and configuration display menu, but nothing seemed to make a difference. It's a shame, because I like the 'cursor' option.

11 years 5 months ago #75022

Hi,

In the link given, I don't see any filters.
For the cursors, have you set the same "Number of columns" for each cursors in the filters options ? Then, I think you can correct the problem with some css customizations.

11 years 5 months ago #75273

Aplogies, I must have sent the wrong link. Try:
www.hydraulic-products.co.uk/index.php/h...gle-acting-cylinders

Regards,

Curtis

11 years 5 months ago #75324

Could you give me screenshots of the Stroke custom field configuration and the Stroke filter configuration ?

11 years 5 months ago #75346

With pleasure, please find them attached:

Best regards,

Curtis

Attachments:

11 years 5 months ago #75358

To have the value of the Stroke custom field, you need to set the Custom field value in your filter configuration on "Stroke".
In you custom field configuation, you must have another Field type to set values if you want these values in your filter.

For example a custom field with the type "Single Dropdown" and add values.

11 years 5 months ago #75372

Hi Xavier,
Is the following not correct the: In the filter configuration, say for 'Stroke (mm)' (- the one I sent the screen image for):

• In 'Main Information', I set 'Type' to 'Single Dropdown', because I want the user to select from values already entered for products in this custom field
  • In 'Options', I select 'Apply on:' 'Custom fields', because I want to select which custom field I want those values to come from, in this case 'stroke (mm).
Surely this should take the values entered for each product in the field 'stroke (mm), and automatically put them in the single dropdown when that filter is added to the front end?
Or am I completely wrong? (In which case I apologise for my stupidity).
Best regards,
Curtis

• Thank you received: 13079
11 years 5 months ago #75611

It would, but only if you select 'Stroke (mm)' in the "custom fields" option of your filter.
On your screenshot, we can clearly see that it's not the case and that you selected there the custom field "cylinder capacity -ton".
Change it to the custom field you want and that should be ok.

11 years 5 months ago #75887

Hi, I sort of figured out that might be the case, but I've tried changing that, as you'll see from the attached screenshots. I'm probably being an idiot, and doing something wrong somewhere that I can't see. Any ideas? The fields are populated, by the way - if they were empty I could perhaps understand it.

Thanks again.
Curtis

the url for the catalogue display for this is: www.hydraulic-products.co.uk/index.php/h...gle-acting-cylinders

Attachments:

11 years 5 months ago #76069

Hi,

To have the default value in the filter, you must have the Custom Field with the type "Single Dropdown" or "Multiple Dropdown" with values for this custom field.
Else it will no work.

11 years 4 months ago #80672

I'm still struggling with these filters I'm afraid. I've tried all kinds of things but can't get it to work. I accept this is something I'm doing, rather than a glitch in HikaShop, but I'd be grateful if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong.
First of all, am I right in thinking that it is not possible to set up a filter to be automatically populated with the data entered in a particular custom field for each product? For example. I have a custom field 'cylinder capacity - ton (kN)' for which I have already entered values in the 'Products' menu, if in the Filter for 'Cylinder capacity - ton (kN)' I select: Apply on 'Custom fields', then select for 'Custom fields' 'cylinder capacity - ton (kN), it will not automatically populate the filter with the values entered in that field for each product?
Secondly, I've attached a couple of screen grabs, so that you can see where I might be going wrong. I've selected 'single dropdown' in Field Type, and entered a selection of values, as you'll see. These values do display when I click on 'Cylinder capacity - ton (kN)' on the page (which is linked from here) , but I still can't seem to make it work.
Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Curtis

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 13079
11 years 4 months ago #80796

The system will take automatically the values of the custom field to populate the filter, but not the values that you would enter as text value for each product for the custom field.

The problem with your first filter is that the second filter has the same namekey for some reason. Please delete and recreate the second filter so that it has another namekey than the first one and it will work.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds