Managing variant quantities across multiple product Options' combinations

• Thank you received: 0
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 4 months ago #338033

-- HikaShop version -- : 4.4.4
-- Joomla version -- : 3.10.4
-- PHP version -- : 7.4.26

My client runs a Pilates studio which offers two types of classes (mat and machine) per day at different time slots.
At the moment on the website, only one variant is available as classes are mostly full, but at the start of a course, there a re a number of variants on the drop down lists.

Clients book a course by choosing a type of class and the desired date-time slot using Options
They can also choose to do two classes a week as above, no problem.
They can also choose to do two classes a week from different types of classes at different date-time slots. Also no problem by using Options (with their built in characteristics and variants).

I need to manage the quantities for each date-time slot (product variant) that are being used in a variety of ways across many products.

This is no problem when only one of each class type is available per product, as the product can include Options and the Options' variants themselves can be limited.

The problem I have is with the two classes a week of the same class type.
I cannot include the same Option twice and if I use a second Option it means that its variants are not linked to the first Option's variants (even though the same characteristics are used), so there is no overall control for the quantity of each date-time slot (entered as an Options' variant) across the various products.

To use your product documentation example , imagine I need to set product availability limits on each of the RAM variants in the drop down, but include the RAM option twice for the product.

How can I work around this please, so that the number of places for each date-time slot can be controlled across all product variations.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Greg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13068
2 years 4 months ago #338041

Hi,

So instead of having two products added as option of the main product, why not have two characteristics added to the main product ? That way, you can generate the variants of the main product which will be the combination of the values of each characteristic, like on this page:
demo.hikashop.com/index.php/en/hikashop/...with-characteristics

• Hikashop Business
2 years 4 months ago #338090

Hi Nicholas

Thank you for your reply.
I used characteristics in the past, but moved away from them (to options) as there were up to 10 characteristics (class date-time slots) in each drop down and doubling up was creating too much load, especially for mobile phones.

I don't see how to add quantity limits on characteristics - in your example, say there were only five Stilletto's in stock of size 4.5?

I need to place quantity limits on each item in the drop down list; the date-time options for each pilates class. The quantity check needs to apply, even if use two drop downs (containing the same items) are used in one product.
That's why I tried to build a parent-child relationship where the child (the actual product) referred back to the parent (the Options) for the date-time options, which could have quantity limits enforced. The problem was I could not add two of the same parents (as Options) in one product.

PS: Using HikaShop Essential

Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by TwoFatFingers.

2 years 4 months ago #338092

Hi,

When you use characteristics, you'll get one variant for each combination of values of each characteristic of the product.
So you can rapidely end up with hundreds of variants for the same product.
A variant is basically a product entry. So have hundreds of variants for a product means that the loading of the data on the product details page is similar to having a products listing with hundreds of products on the same page.
And that's why you had loading issues.

However, both characteristics and options can be used together.
For example, if you need to handle the quantity for the size of the product but that the color doesn't matter, you could have the size as a characteristic and the color as an option. That way, you could define the stock for each size regardless of the selected color.

The stock is thus not to be added in the values of the characteristics, but in each variant (which is a combination of the values of the characteristics of the product). So after you add the characteristics to the product, you need to go in the "variants" tab of the product edit form and click on the "add variants" button to select the values of each characteristic you need for the current product. Then, you can edit each variant and set the stock, price (if different from the main product), etc.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 4 months ago #338154

Hi Nicolas

Thank you for your reply. I cannot however be explaining myself clearly.

Synopsis:
I need to have the same stock's quantity limits applied to numerous products.

The detail:
1. My stock is linked to place availability according to one timetable.
2. I have a number of products that use the same stock ( availability in that one timetable).
3. In order to manage stock, I have isolated it by creating a separate product, that has the timetable stock itemised as variants, with limits set. (see: stock-variants.png)
4. I use this product ( in point 3) as an Option in my various products, eg 1 class a week, 2 classes a week, etc. (see: products-using-variants.png & product-with-variants.png)
5. This way, there is the "master" stock controlled product and other products use it.

Great. Now the problem:

This all work fine except when I try to use the product in 3, twice as an Option in another product, eg: 2 classes a week. HikaShop will not allow me to insert the same Option twice.
( To select the two classes that make up the '2 classes a week' product, the user needs to choose a class from 2 separate drop down lists)

If I set individual variants in each product, there is no overall stock control
If I use an Option and Characteristic, I loose the centralised stock control.

Is there another way to achieve this centralised stock control across numerous products?

Sorry. I hope this is clearer and I look forward to your reply.

Regards
Greg

Attachments:
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by TwoFatFingers.

2 years 4 months ago #338156

Hi,

Thanks, this time it's clear.
There is no mechanism to use the same product as option twice in the same product.
First, the database structure would need to be modified to allow for it, but even so, the code on the product page to handle options would also have to be adapted.
So it's not that easy to do.
Something a bit simpler would be to add the capability for variants to have bundled products. In that case, you could have the variants of a product bundled in the corresponding variants of another product and use that other product as the second option.
But that would still mean some development to support that capability.
Something even simpler would be to develop a custom plugin to manually synchronize the quantity of the variants between both options when the order is created. But again, that still means some development to be done evne though it would reduce quite a lot the amount of work needed.
And without coding, I can only think of an alternative like having two products instead of one, and making sure that the customer adds both the cart using shipping/payment methods weight/volume restrictions. But then it means you need to tell the user that he has to add the other product... it's a bit cumbersome for him.

• Hikashop Business
2 years 4 months ago #338178

Hi Nicolas

OK thanks for confirming.
I will use the single product option and get them to buy it twice and add a Coupon to achieve the price reduction required for the 2nd copy.
(I believe that this is only achievable with Coupons, not Discounts, but please let me know if Discounts can be applied if a second copy of a product is purchased.)

Appreciate the help and Happy Christmas to you!

Regards
Greg

2 years 4 months ago #338180

Hi,

Yes a coupon will be needed.
Note that you can activate the "auto load in cart if possible" setting in the coupon so that it is added to the cart automatically when the conditions are met. At least that's one less step for the user.

Thanks and Mery Christmas to you too !

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds