Search Results Not Working As I'd Like

• Thank you received: 11
  • Hikashop Business
2 years 4 months ago #338160

Hi there,

When I search for an item and I put the entire name of the item in the search why does that item not display first? Sometimes it's way down at the bottom of the list or if I have a couple of pages it's on another page.

I understand that if other items have one or some of the words in it they will display as well but I would like the most relevant items to display first. How do I do this? Please see attached my settings.

Also, where can I find out what "Apply On" and "Search Processing Operators" means? Maybe if I understand those I can understand the settings better.

Thanks!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13069
2 years 4 months ago #338169

Hi,

The settings are explained here:
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/1...-filter-listing.html
The "apply on" setting allows you to select the columns on which the search will be done.
So normally, you want to select "product name", maybe "product description", maybe "product code", etc.
The "Search Processing" setting allows you to change the behavior of the search:

"Every words" will distinctly search each word typed (but they both have to appear somewhere), "complete expression" will search for the whole expression, "any word" will search for each word with or without the others. Finally the search operators features allow our customers to use quotes for a complete expression search (like "red balloon"), plus for a every word search (red+balloon) and spaces for an any word search (red balloon)

Regarding the sorting of the results, this is dictacted by the "ordering column" and "ordering direction" settings of the products listing used for the search results display.
There is no mechanism to count the amount of matches for each product and then sort the results based on that.
While I understand that it would be great, it's quite complex to add and will also slow down the search quite a lot. So I don't see how we could do it without rewritting a big part of the filter system to have a caching mechanism on the searches. It would be weeks of development.

• Thank you received: 11
  • Hikashop Business
1 month 3 weeks ago #359455

Hi Nicolas,

I have Apply On = All
Search Processing = Search operators

But for some reason when I type "shoes" (without the quotes), nothing shows up.

The word Shoes is in the Product code and Keywords so why are they not showing in the search results?

Thanks!

• Thank you received: 13069
1 month 3 weeks ago #359458

Hi,

Can you provide the URL of the page you're talking about ?

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds