Tax calculations

• Thank you received: 2
  • Hikashop Multisite
6 years 9 months ago #272558

-- HikaShop version -- : 3.1.1
-- Joomla version -- : 3.6.5
-- PHP version -- : 5.4.45
-- Browser(s) name and version -- : Chrome 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit)

I have 3 tax zones. Thinking of them as a target, the bulls-eye is Colorado Springs (city) with 1% rate, next ring out is El Paso County with 1% rate, next ring is Colorado (state) with 1% rate. These are cumulative so someone in Colorado Springs would pay 3% while someone in a different city inside El Paso County would pay 2%, and someone in another city which is outside El Paso County, but inside Colorado would pay 1%. Anyone outside Colorado pays no tax.

Zones: Colorado is a state, with El Paso County (which is a tax zone) as a sub-zone, and Colorado Springs (which is a tax zone) is a sub-zone of El Paso County.

Tax Category: I just have one, the Default Tax Category.

Tax Rates: One for Colorado Springs, one for El Paso County, one for Colorado.

Tax Rules: See screen shots attached. All 3 are published and accessible to all.

When I test this, I only get the rate for Colorado, even though I am using a zip code with Colorado Springs. I get the same result for a zip code outside Colorado Springs, but inside El Paso County. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13037
6 years 9 months ago #272577

Hi,

How the tax system would be able to link your sub zones to the address of the customer ?
In your description of the situation, there is no link between these sub zones and either the city custom field or the zip code custom field of the addresses. So there is no way for the tax system to apply the tax rates for these sub zones the way you set that up.
The solution would be to configure tax rules with zip code ranges so that you would have tax rules for all the zip codes of Colorado Springs, tax rules for all the zip codes of El Paso county (minus Colorado Springs) and tax rules for all the zip codes of the Colorado state (minus El Paso county).
I would however be wary of using zip code ranges there. I've heard that zip codes might not be enough to make sure that someone is in a city or county as the same zip code might be used on both sides of a tax border in the USA.
The best is to use the full address to make sure that the exact address is in the zone you want to tax.
To do that, the only solution is to use a third party service like TaxCloud or Avalara:
polishedgeek.com/services/hikashop-ecommerce-tax-automation
www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/260-taxcloud.html

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by nicolas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PolishedGeek

• Hikashop Multisite
6 years 9 months ago #272640

Are you saying that if I had zip code entered in my Colorado tax rule like I do for the other two tax rules, it would work? I understand that you are not recommending this, but I want to understand what you are saying.

6 years 9 months ago #272659

Well. In short, there are two issues with how you set your tax rules:
1. You should select the colorado state in all your tax rules
2. You should use regex in the post code field. So if you want to provide a list of post codes, you should separate them by a pipe character ( this one: | ), not a coma
Then it should work, but again, it might not be the best to use zip codes for that.

• Hikashop Multisite
6 years 8 months ago #273495

So I'm trying the same basic setup, but I've changed things a bit. I'm not using zip codes. My 3 zones each just have Colorado state as their sub-zone. My tax categories, rates, and rules are still the same as they were. Now when I check out as someone not from Colorado, not tax is calculated, which is good. When I checkout as some from Colorado, all three tax zones are calculated and added to the total. My thought was to have a custom field for zone that would only show up when someone is registering or checking out as a guest and they select Colorado as the state. The three options would be...
1. I don't live in El Paso County.
2. I live in El Paso County, but not in Colorado Springs.
3. I live in Colorado Springs.

Attached are a couple screenshots of my custom field settings.

My questions are,
1. How do I get that custom field to only show up when someone chooses Colorado as their state when registering or checking out as a guest?
2. How do I set it up so that only the zone that is selected in the custom field adds it's tax to the calculation?

Attachments:

6 years 8 months ago #273510

Hi,

1. I see that you've tried using the "display limited to" setting for that. However that setting is not compatible with the zone custom fields since they are loaded dynamically.
There is no option that would allow you to do that. It would require some development.

2. The system only takes into account the custom fields address_state and address_country for the zone restriction of the tax rules. So your "address_zone" custom field is just ignored.
Again, there is no option to change that, that would also require some development.

So to sum up, I don't think that the solution you're trying to use will work out and I would recommend going another way.

• Hikashop Multisite
6 years 8 months ago #273536

Bummer... ok. Thanks for the reply.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds