United States Postal Service (USPS) Module

• Thank you received: 3
12 years 9 months ago #18681

Hello,
I just purchased HikaShop and note that there seems to be a lack of shipping modules. I'm somewhat familiar with the USPS API. Is there a large demand for such a module? My client needs one so I thought I might take the time to develop one for HikaShop if there isn't already an effort underway to do so.

If this is in fact needed, feel free to chime in here and let me know you would like to see a module. We'll use this thread to discuss.

Moderators: If I have accidentally broken some sort of forum rule here, please let me know. I looked around and didn't see anything prohibiting writing modules for distribution.

Thanks!

Jeff

UPDATE 2011-07-25 : See this post for the (unofficial) USPS module. Compatible with Hikashop 1.5.2. New version of the plugin with more options coming soon.

Like my work? Click here to donate.

Your support is appreciated and helps keep me motivated to continue writing code.
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by jeffcj. Reason: added link to post with plugin attached

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 9 months ago #18684

I agree that HikaShop needs such a plugin it would be very beneficial. I hope you decide to create one for USPS. Having no shipping plugins seems to be HikaShop's major dilemmas. Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate to take on the task. I hope to see this discussion progress into a project.

• Thank you received: 13037
12 years 9 months ago #18692

Hi,
No problem Jeff ! It's even the opposite. Feel free to develop plugins for HikaShop ! We have some documentation about that there: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/6...r-documentation.html
We don't have the resources on our end to develop everything. We started to work on a plugin for UPS but it's been 2 months that we started the process to get a test account with them and we still didn't get it so it's on stall :/

12 years 9 months ago #18722

I am still lokoing forward to the progress with the UPS plug-in, but I certainly would like to see this USPS plug-in developed too. I will keep my eye on this. Thank you.

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by QuantumView.

12 years 9 months ago #18761

nicolas wrote:

Hi,
No problem Jeff ! It's even the opposite. Feel free to develop plugins for HikaShop ! We have some documentation about that there: www.hikashop.com/support/documentation/6...r-documentation.html
We don't have the resources on our end to develop everything. We started to work on a plugin for UPS but it's been 2 months that we started the process to get a test account with them and we still didn't get it so it's on stall :/

Thanks! It sounds like there is some interest. I reviewed the HikaShop Shipping API documentation. I don't think it would be all that challenging to put together a simple USPS module that will calculate the shipping rate for the various USPS services.

I'll look into it further in the next few days and see if I can put something together. I'll update this thread as I get started.

Your support is appreciated and helps keep me motivated to continue writing code.

12 years 9 months ago #18764

:woohoo: I am very happy right now, I was tossing cookies trying to figure out what to do about shipping. I read about using the manual shipping plug, it was confusing for me to follow. With a USPS or UPS plugin, I feel comfortable saying that HikaShop will be the best shopping cart available for Joomla! Hands Down! I like how user friendly HikaShop is, top notch support. I will be looking forward to such a plugin without a doubt.

12 years 9 months ago #18794

Jeff,

I am sure every single person who resides in the US, that uses Joomla + Hika Shop would LOVE a USPS plugin, same with UPS! In fact I would go so far as to say it would even make Hikashop more attractive for people to use if there were these plugins, esp since it's a lot easier of a system to use then *ahem - insert competing cart name here*

I would use such a plugin. I would be willing to donate some $$$ for such a plug in.... USPS, UPS, and an Amazon Payment plug in would be UBER!

Just sayin' ;) Make it so!

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by LordSatori. Reason: annoying misspelling....

12 years 9 months ago #19516

Just thought I'd follow up on this. I'm trying to get my client up and running with Hikashop (using flat rate shipping) so he will have an operational store. I will be working on the USPS shipping module (both for my client and the community here) as soon as that is complete.

12 years 9 months ago #19523

Thanks for looking into this. We just bought HikaShop and really love to use the USPS module when it is available.

12 years 9 months ago #19840

I have am working on one. Should be done tomorrowish. Though I cannot donate it because it has taken almost a week worth of work what do you think would be a good fee? It does international and domestic.

Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by jhenry.

12 years 9 months ago #20139

I'm currently arguing with USPS over moving my user ID to the production server. Their test servers are garbage.

Good news: I'm about 75% done with the Hikashop USPS module, assuming I can get some real testing done.

I still need to add international shipping (configured for domestic only at the moment), but that is trivial once I have the domestic US shipping working.

12 years 8 months ago #20393

Look forward to it Jeff!!! If you have time after this project would you be able to work on one utilizing UPS as well?

12 years 8 months ago #20412

We were stuck with UPS as we couldn't get an access key but we were finally able to get one so we will be able to finish our UPS plugin for HikaShop during the summer.

12 years 8 months ago #20419

That's awesome to read!!! One less piece of guesswork removed + better customer service for end user.... thanks!!!

12 years 8 months ago #20892

This is a great thing you are doing for the users of Hikashop. I have been searching awhile for a shopping cart. Hopefully you will be able to fix everyone's' needs. Please let me know when you are finished.

12 years 8 months ago #20894

Agreed! Look forward to it!

12 years 8 months ago #20910

We will restart work on the UPS plugin on monday.

12 years 8 months ago #21148

Man would I be happy to use a USPS Module....

12 years 8 months ago #21229

Please add my strong interest in a USPS module for Hikashop. It will be very important for my developement sites.

If you need $$$ please let us know, I'm sure together we can come up with something.

Do you have any time frame as to when it might be available?

Thanks
Frank

12 years 8 months ago #21234

I have an installable and semi-working module now. There are a few bugs I need to iron out (probably several) and I'd like to add more features eventually. Unfortunately, my other job has kept my away from any development in the past several days. Hoping to get to it this weekend though. I'd really like to have an early version for public testing out by Monday.

My module will be free, but donations will be appreciated if you find the final product useful. :)

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds