Product images and Category listing images

• Thank you received: 0
12 years 10 months ago #20271

Hello,

Yesterday evening all was fine after re-importing the database and custom CSS for the front end from the localhost site, as I emailed you. HOWEVER....

The problem with the thumbnail images started to occur on all new products after I changed the file/thumbnail size. It was OK until that moment.

I had to change this thumbnail size after I loaded the handbag because it was making it too small. First I changed the height by removing the figure -90 - there, leaving that box blank. The handbag thumbnail then changed size to look similar to the others. It looked OK.

I then created a new product and it was at that stage that the old problem came back with background to the thumbnail image. I then reloaded everything again this morning- database, etc. - once more and reinput the handbags and the problem doesn't happen. I think this is because this time I have not touched the thumbnail sizing in the configuration/file window.

It only happens if I change the thumbnail size and it only happens to all new product images uploaded after that moment. Existing product images are OK. Changing the thumbnail size back to the original height of 90 doesn't fix it - I have to reimport the database from the localhost site to solve the problem.

Can you think of a way around this problem, which I am beginning to think is a tiny bug in the system. Weird.

The website now up has the original sizing in the thumbnail height box. I don't want to change anything today, because my client is going to be looking at the site at some stage.

If you can think why changing the sizing in this thumbnail height box triggers the problem, then that would be fantastic.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13071
12 years 10 months ago #20285

Once a thumbnail is created for an image, the thumbnail is always used. If you change the size of the thumbnails in the configuration, the new products images will be resized with the new thumbnail size but existing thumbnails won't be regenerated.
If you want to regenerate all the thumbnails to the new size, you need to delete all the thumbnails in the folder media/com_hikashop/upload/thumbnail via FTP.
Then, HikaShop will recreate the thumbnails automatically when it has to display them. So that's why you had the problem only with new images.

12 years 9 months ago #20439

Hello,

I did that and it made all the images much much worse. it didn't resolve the issue at all. Right now I am working again on the localhost as I don't want to mess with the website while my clients are looking at it. The same thing is happening with the images there. Now many of the thumbnails have weird backgrounds.

This is becoming a bit of a nightmare for me.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards,

12 years 9 months ago #20440

I then changed the configuration back to width : 200 and left height blank. The current images are now OK, but any new images imported are still not OK. They still have a background despite their backgrounds being transparent in the actual png image itself.

12 years 9 months ago #20442

Hello, I HAVE WORKED IT OUT. You are quite right, if I use extplorer and upload the image again and overwrite existing image it works fine.

Thank you so much for your assistance with this. Much appreciated.

However, does this mean I have to do this with all future thumbnail images to get around the problem? Is there a way that it can just upload straight from Hikashop without having to do this using extplorer every time. It still seems that new images are being corrupted even if they have never existed as a thumbnail before.

thanks,
Kind regards,.

12 years 9 months ago #20454

Hard to say. When the background is not kept during a thumbnail resize, it's because the GD library on your server does not support it for some images, or the transparency of your images is not encoded in a format supported by GD...

12 years 9 months ago #20467

OK thanks for that. What does GD stand for, so I can find out more? I am creating the transparent backgrounds in Photoshop CS5 and saving all images as .png
Kind regards,

12 years 9 months ago #20487

GD is a php library for image manipulations: php.net/manual/en/book.image.php

12 years 9 months ago #20525

Thank you so much. Your help is much appreciated as always.
kind regards,

12 years 9 months ago #20800

Hello,

I have a couple more questions regarding the product page and attach a screen shot showing the two items.

1. As the products have options to choose from, the first option or any of the options if chosen appear in the product heading on the same page. In this particular instance, it says Portia: Choose Colour. How can I remover the option and just have the name of the product - Portia - only here. Obviously I would still want the options to appear in the shopping cart, but would prefer it not to display as part of the heading on this product page as shown in this screen shot. The reason is that the image shown is not necessarily the same as the colour in the option pull down menu.

2. How can I change the CSS on this page, so that the options, price and add to cart stay on the righthand side, but the image below is moved down a bit so that it is not behind the text.

Kind regards,
Belinda

12 years 9 months ago #20803

Hello,

I have a couple more questions regarding the product page www.peppercorn-design.it/index.php/leath...uct/show/2671-portia

1. As the products have options to choose from, the first option or any of the options if chosen appear in the product heading on the same page. In this particular instance, it says Portia: Choose Colour. How can I remover the option and just have the name of the product - Portia - only here. Obviously I would still want the options to appear in the shopping cart, but would prefer it not to display as part of the heading on this product page as shown in this screen shot. The reason is that the image shown is not necessarily the same as the colour in the option pull down menu.

2. How can I change the CSS on this page, so that the options, price and add to cart stay on the righthand side, but the image below is moved down a bit so that it is not behind the text.

Kind regards,
Belinda

12 years 9 months ago #20818

Hi,

1. There is no option for that, you need to edit the file show of the view product via the menu Display->Views and change the code echo $this->element->product_name; to echo $this->element->main->product_name;

2. You can't do that via CSS. You need to edit the file show of the view product via the menu Display->Views and move the left block of code after the right block of code and then you should be able to remove the float CSS propriety of these blocks so that one gets below the other.

12 years 9 months ago #20883

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ref item 1 - I make this change, then save it, but it reverts back to the original and doesn't save the change? Any ideas?

Kind regards,

12 years 9 months ago #20903

It's probably because you don't have the right to write files in the folder templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/html
Please make sure via FTP that you have the permissions 777 on that folder and try again.

12 years 9 months ago #21634

Hello,

I have done that and what seems to have happened once I make the change is that sometimes the name of product: Change Colour is still there, and sometimes the heading has gone completely, not just the name: change colour.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

12 years 9 months ago #21643

Actually, having changed permissions to 777, it still doesn't allow me to change the coding. I thought it had. I still cannot get it to change to echo $this->element->main->product_name;
I change it OK, then save it but it still reverts back to the original, despite removing some of the headings on the website and not others. Weird.
Any more ideas?

12 years 9 months ago #21666

You could do it manually then. Copy the file components/com_hikashop/views/product/tmpl/show.php to templates/YOUR_TEMPLATE/html/com_hikashop/product/show.php and modify that copy directly via FTP.

12 years 8 months ago #23059

Thanks I will try that.

Another question, how can I change the background colour of a pop-up window from white to another colour - grey? I thought I could try creating a link to some text "view larger image" which when click brings up a pop-up window containing the larger image. However, iit looks awful on a white backgroud when the site itself has a grey background... it would look better having a similar background in the pop-up window to the site window. How can I change this, please?

Kind regards,

12 years 8 months ago #23060

Hi that was brilliant. I have now managed to change it to echo $this->element->main->product_name;
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Kind regards,

12 years 8 months ago #23072

The background color can be changed with CSS. That will depend on your template actually but the CSS below should do the trick in most cases:

body.contentpane{ background-color: grey !important; }

You should add that in the CSS of your template.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds